Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Product Review: 24 Days of Tea

MMMMMmmmmm TEA!
Many of you may not know this. But I am a MASSIVE tea fanatic. I do not drink coffee for many reasons; it bothers my stomach, it is more processed, very artificial tasting, over sweetened, and generally (how prepared) is loaded with extra calories. I no longer drink coffee and enjoy at least one cup of tea daily. I prefer the more natural loose leaf variety and was thrilled to discover David's Tea when I was wandering around Canada.

24 Days of Tea?
David's tea makes an amazing variety of fun, flavorful, and exciting teas that I am in LOVE with. Most tea places feel stuffy and pompous (*cough*Teavana*cough*) which is why I love David's: they made tea FUN. The "24 Days of Tea" Calendar is super popular and generally sells out in < 1 day, and this year I got one! This is what wonders the calendar had in store and what I thought of all the flavors!

  • Day 1: Forever Nuts
    • Fruit Infusion Tea, Caffeine Free
    • Ingredients: Apple, almonds, cinnamon, beetroot, and artificial flavouring
    • My Thoughts: This tea was rich and buttery like a nut bread or pie. I liked the flavor, but it confused my taste buds since it felt/tasted like I should have been eating rather than drinking. My rating: 3/5
  • Day 2: Organic Vanilla Chai
    • Black Tea, Medium Caffeine
    • Ingredients: Organic cinnamon, black tea, licorice root, ginger, vanilla. With natural vanilla and cream flavouring
    • My Thoughts: I LOVED this one! It was spicy, it was creamy, it was smooth and it was just a perfect balance. Amazing favor, my rating: 5/5
  • Day 3: Quangzhou Milk Oolong
    • Oolong Tea, Medium Caffeine
    • Ingredients: Chinese oolong tea from the Wuyi Mountains, natural flavouring
    • My Thoughts: This was a very good oolong, it steeped well multiple times, it felt very whole and earthy but felt more creamy and less sharp, my rating: 4/5
  • Day 4: Pink Flamingo
    • Herbal Infusion Tea, Caffeine Free
    • Ingredients: Hibiscus blossoms, apple pieces, carrot flakes, blackberry leaves, eucalyptus leaves, lemongrass, beetroot pieces, freeze-dried tangerine/orange slices and artificial flavouring
    • My Thoughts: This was my least favorite tea of the whole damn month. It looked like weed-wacker clippings, looked bright pink and tasted like lawn with a hint of citrus. I was not a big fan of this at all, favors didn't mesh well, my rating: 1/5
  • Day 5: Organic Detox
    • Green Tea, Low Caffeine
    • Ingredients: Organic rooibos, sencha green tea, lemongrass, ginger, juniper berries, ginkgo, and natural lemon flavouring
    • My Thoughts: This one looked like someone scooped up nature from a hike and put it in a tin, so I was a little skeptical. I did like it though, it was a very crisp, clean, and refreshing green tea, I felt like I was being relaxed and detoxed, my rating: 4/5
  • Day 6: Coco Chai Rooibos
    • Rooibos Tea, Caffeine Free
    • Ingredients: Organic Rooibos, cinnamon, ginger, coconut flakes, cloves, pink peppercorns, cardamom, natural and artificial flavouring
    • My Thoughts: Rooibos tends to be my favorite, and this is one I have had before. It is a nice chai tea flavor except without the heaviness of caffeine, nice for when you want chai but don't want to stay up all night, my rating 4/5
  • Day 7: English Breakfast
    • Black Tea, Medium Caffeine
    • Ingredients: Sri Lankan black tea
    • My Thoughts: tastes like a typical english breakfast tea, very natural and hearty, I am always kind of neutral about this type of tea in general, my rating: 3/5
  • Day 8: Cocomint Cream
    • Fruit Infusion Tea, Caffeine Free
    • Ingredients: Apple, coconut, sweet blackberry leaves, peppermint, spearmint, natural coconut flavouring
    • My Thoughts: After drinking this tea twice I still don't know how I feel: it tastes exactly as it sounds. Coconut + Mint = WTF? I didn't not like it; it was just a combination I have never experienced before, my rating: 3/5
  • Day 9: Genmaicha
    • Green Tea, Low Caffeine
    • Ingredients: Steamed green tea from Japan, roasted and popped rice
    • My Thoughts: This tasted like a tea that I have tasted at a sushi place before, but a little different. This tasted a little different and I could not place why, but it was not the same and I couldn't place it. It looked like green tea with floating rice krispies, my rating: 2/5
  • Day 10: Bubbie's Baklava
    • Oolong Tea, Low Caffeine
    • Ingredients: Oolong tea, roasted chicory root, pineapple, papaya, cinnamon, walnuts, apple, ginger, roasted almonds, cardamom, rose pepper, pistachios, rose blossom, artificial flavouring
    • My Thoughts: This one tasted pretty close to baklava, nutty, fruity, sweet, with a little spice, very tasty, my rating: 4/5
  • Day 11: Organic Mother's Little Helper
    • Herbal Infusion Tea, Caffeine Free
    • Ingredients: Organic peppermint, lemongrass, hibiscus, rosehips, chamomile, valerian root, cornflowers, peppermint flavouring
    • My Thoughts: This one felt earthy, cleansing, and natural. It helped me feel calm, cleansed, and relaxed, my rating: 4/5.
  • Day 12: Creme Carmel Rooibos
    • Rooibos Tea, Caffeine Free
    • Ingredients: Red Rooibos, caramel pieces, natural and artificial flavouring
    • My Thoughts: This one was delicious it was not-too sweet, creamy, carmely, and I love roobois, one of my favorites in the box, my rating: 5/5
  • Day 13: Read My Lips
    • Black Tea, Low Caffeine
    • Ingredients: Chinese black tea, peppermint, chocolate, pink peppercorns, sprinkles, natural and artificial flavouring
    • My Thoughts: I have had this one before, it is chocolately, minty, and a great balanced tea, my rating: 5/5
  • Day 14: Sugar Plum Forest
    • Fruit Infusion Tea, Caffeine Free
    • Ingredients: Apple, hibiscus, rooibos, ginger, licorice root, raisins, cinnamon, rose hip peel, plum, cardamom, star anise, bruised pepper, cloves, chili pieces, artificial flavouring
    • My Thoughts: This one tasted just as it sounds, it was sweet, fruity, and had a little bit of a spice to it, it looked pink and sweet, my rating 3/5
  • Day 15: Buddha'a Blend
    • White Tea, Medium Caffeine
    • Ingredients: White tea, green tea, jasmine pearls, white hibiscus blossoms, natural and articifial flavouring
    • My Thoughts: This tea tastes like I could be sitting and meditating in a Buddhist temple in Asia; calming, lightly bitter and cleansing, my rating: 4/5
  • Day 16: Main Squeeze
    • Mate Tea, Stimulant
    • Ingredients: Green yerba maté, candied papaya, pineapple, safflower, natural flavouring; contains sulfites
    • My Thoughts: This tea tastes like a bad combination of orange juice and mate tea, I don't know who's idea it was, but it was not a good one, my rating: 1/5
  • Day 17: Organic Peppermint Amour
    • Herbal Infusion Tea, Caffeine Free
    • Ingredients: Organic peppermint leaves from Oregon state
    • My Thoughts: Straight organic minty goodness, made me feel like I just brushed my teeth, my rating: 4/5
  • Day 18: Organic Silk Dragon Jasmine
    • Green Tea, Medium Caffeine
    • Ingredients: Organic Chinese green tea from Jianxi Province, naturally scented with jasmine flowers
    • My Thoughts: This is a deliciously crisp and fresh green tea, the hint of jasmine is a nice touch, my rating: 4/5
  • Day 19: Organic Cream of Earl Grey
    • Black Tea, Medium Caffeine
    • Ingredients: Organic black tea, cornflowers, marigolds with natural flavouring
    • My Thoughts: This is my boyfriends favorite tea, I am normally the biggest fan of earl grey, but this tastes less bitter with a hint of creaminess, my rating: 4/5.
  • Day 20: Apple Custard
    • Fruit Infusion, Caffeine Free
    • Ingredients: Apples, golden raisins, coriander, chamomile, natural and artificial vanilla flavouring
    • My Thoughts: I love a good herbal tea, this tastes (and smells!) like I am eating a tart yet sweet apple crisp, my rating: 5/5.
  • Day 21: Lime Gelato
    • Green Tea, Low Caffeine
    • Ingredients: Apple, Sencha green tea, pineapple, lemongrass, artificial creamy lime yogurt flavouring
    • My Thoughts: This day I was actually too busy to get a single mug of tea in, needless to say it was a dissapointing and stressful day, my rating: ?/5
  • Day 22: Sleigh Ride
    • Fruit Infusion Tea, Caffeine Free
    • Ingredients: Apple, hibiscus blossoms, pineapple, papaya, beetroot, cinnamon, raisins, coconut, roasted almonds, popped rice, artificial flavouring
    • My Thoughts: The teas are starting to get very festive! This one just tastes like a spiced cider of some kind, it reminds me of a hot holiday shandy, my rating: 4/5
  • Day 23: Eggnog
    • Rooibos Tea, Caffeine Free
    • Ingredients: Green rooibos, white chocolate chips, meringue powder, natural and artificial flavouring
    • My Thoughts: Tastes just like eggnog. Period. My rating: 5/5
  • Day 24: Santa's Secret
    • Black Tea, Medium Caffeine
    • Ingredients: Black tea, peppermint, sprinkles, natural and artificial flavouring
    • My Thoughts: What a wonderful way to end the month, a sweet, pepperminty, holiday flavored black tea, my rating: 5/5
Is anyone else tea fanatics? What types/brands/flavors do you tend to like? What other kinds of fun advent calendars do people use/have? 

No comments:

Post a Comment